Dangers of Xylitol….PLEASE Read

Dangers of Xylitol

 

What is Xylitol:

Xylitol is a sugar substitute most often associated with “sugar-free” chewing gum and mints, but it’s also found some brands of peanut butter, toothpastes, certain medications, and vitamins, many sugar-free products (chocolate, JELLO, yogurt, pudding), and even some household products such as baby wipes and lip balm.

Why is it so dangerous:

According to Caroline Coile, AKC Family Dog Nutrition & Health columnist: “The dog’s pancreas confuses xylitol with real sugar and releases insulin to store it. The insulin removes real sugar from the bloodstream and the dog can become weak, and have tremors and even seizures starting within 30 minutes of eating it.” Other symptoms of hypoglycemia include poor coordination and vomiting/diarrhea.

Liver failure (and death) can also result from xylitol ingestion, and symptoms can take as much as eight hours as show up. A dog only needs to consume a very little amount of xylitol to receive a deadly dose. As much as two pieces of gum can cause a problem in a small-breed dog.

To find out more about Xylitol, please see the article below:

http://www.akc.org/learn/dog-health/dangers-of-xylitol/?utm_source=healthydog&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20160119&mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRojv6XAZKXonjHpfsX86OwtWqO3lMI%2F0ER3fOvrPUfGjI4ISMBgI%2BSLDwEYGJlv6SgFT7nNMbFs3LgMXRM%3D

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s