I found this article interesting, and I would have to agree with the 6 points.
1. Heredity Problems – Artie and Buddy are siblings and they both suffer from allergies. We haven’t been able to figure out what they are allergic to, but it seems to be related to something outside, especially this time of the year. Both dogs are suffering with skin rashes and itchy paws.
2. Barking – My dogs love to bark!!! They bark at anything that passes by our yard. They also bark like crazy when someone comes to the door. I wish I would have trained them better for guests!
3. House Breaking Problems – We have this issue with Coby right now. He is 7 months old, but is still having difficulty with potty training. Artie and Buddy were trained when we got them at 6 months of age, so this is a new experience for us. We didn’t realize that Yorkies are one of the most difficult dogs to train.
4. Grooming – One of the things I love about Yorkies is they do not shed!!! When I brush them, there is hair in the brush, but I do not find hair on my clothes or in the house. Yorkies do need haircuts, although their hair can vary in length. I cut Artie and Buddy’s hair about every 6-8 weeks. Coby goes to a groomer because I don’t feel comfortable grooming him yet. I keep their hair short, so they do not have to be brushed very often. Coby still has puppy hair, so he needs brushed every few days.
5. Separation Anxiety – Artie was an only child for just 4 months. We could tell he needed a friend, so we adopted his brother, Buddy. They were best buds right away!! The dogs suffer from some separation anxiety when we go away, even though they get to stay home with a young man who watches them.
6. Fragile – I wouldn’t consider Artie and Buddy fragile. They are both hefty boys, and they know how to stay out of our way. Coby, on the other hand, is fragile at only 5 lbs. He doesn’t know his boundaries yet and sometimes gets in our way. He will learn!
I love Yorkies and can’t imagine having any other breed! They are adorable, loving, loyal, playful and cuddly. If you’d like to know more about Yorkies, please ask. You can also read more by viewing the attached article.